Electric bikes are taking the world by storm, making urban commutes faster and more environmentally responsible and adding a whole new angle to road trips. How many of our fun facts about e-bikes do you know?
1. E-bikes have different modes. If you are envisioning sitting back and letting your electric bike do the work for you, that is just one aspect of travelling by e-bike. With a variety of options depending on the model of e-bike you choose, you can still get great exercise on an electric bike. Your motor will help you go farther, maintain a consistent speed, and get you up hills, while you still pedal as much – or as little – as you like.
2. You don’t have to buy a new bike. Electric bike technology has come a long way, and the new models are lighter, faster, and more energy efficient than ever. However, if the price of a new electric bike simply isn’t in the budget, you can convert your traditional bike with a motorized conversion kit. This is a popular way to save money or test out riding an e-bike before buying a new model.
3. Electric bikes are ideal for replacing car trips. E-bikes are popular for urban commutes but are capable of replacing all sorts of trips that you might currently take in your car. With options for cargo areas, long lasting batteries, and all weather tires, those who own e-bikes are much more likely to get out and about on their bike.
4. E-bikes are more popular than you think. There are over 200 million e-bikes being ridden worldwide, and that number is expected to grow exponentially as more people realize the advantages of owning an e-bike. In some cities in Europe, electric bikes are used more than automobiles.
5. Even automakers see that electric bikes are a big part of the future in transportation. Companies like BMW and Mercedes are already developing their own e-bike models in order to stay at the forefront of the industry.
6. They really are cheaper. It is easy to look at the $2,000+ price tag of an e-bike and think that is too much to spend on a bike. Maybe it’s time to rethink that evaluation. After all, we spend tens of thousands on our cars and trucks that quickly depreciate. When you look at the total cost of purchasing and operating an e-bike versus the average automobile, you will find that an e-bike costs approximately a nickel per mile to use while a car is a whopping 71 cents.
7. You can go farther than you think. People who use electric bikes for longer road trips commonly report getting 50 miles out of a battery charge. It’s all in how you ride it. Pedal along for exercise and achieve a greater range.
8. Electric bikes reduce pollution. Even though we know that cars create tremendous amounts of pollution, we are hesitant to give up the convenience they offer. Electric bikes offer similar convenience while producing 25 less pounds of carbon monoxide than your car does every 500 miles.
9. E-bikes are amazingly energy efficient. While the time and distance that you get out of your battery varies greatly with riding style, any ride on an electric bike consumes exponentially less energy than driving any type of automobile. The energy use of an e-bike, roughly translated, is about 1,000 miles per gallon.
10. Riding an electric bike doesn’t mean going slow. Not sure that you have commuting time for riding a bicycle? Consider the fact that many standard model e-bikes can travel up to 28 miles per hour. Then think about the amount of time you spend sitting still in traffic. Some e-bike commuters are actually able to cut down on their travel time by using an e-bike instead of an automobile.